My earlier post about installing Arch Linux on a MacBook Pro 5.5 is one of the most accessed posts on my site, so I figured I should write an update for the newer model.
The basic specs of my MacBook Pro 8.1 (13″) are:
- Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.7 GHz
- 8GB (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
- 750GB SATA @ 5400 RPM
- Intel HD Graphics 3000
- Broadcom BCM4331 802.11a/b/h/n
Installation: I have gone for a pure x86_64 install this time. The initial install was “fun”… So much so, that I would have probably abandoned Arch altogether if I did not have a vested interest in it. The latest official Arch Linux install CD (2011.08.19) does not even boot so I had to grab a testing iso. The install is fairly routine as far as a single OS install on a MacBook Pro goes. I followed the same strategy as my previous install and changed the partition table format and blessed the partition /boot was on for a faster boot-up. I could have tried GRUB2 with its EFI support, but I just stuck with what I knew worked. But “worked” is a funny term as the current Arch Linux installer will only allow you to install GRUB on the hard-drives MBR and not onto an individual partiation (which is required on MacBook Pros). So I did my first manual GRUB installation and everything booted fine!
Video: Just pacman -S xf86-video-intel and everything works.
Screen Brightness: Worked out of the box.
Keyboard Backlight: I recommend learning to touch type… but I read it works.
Touchpad: Sort of worked out of the box using xf86-input-synaptics-220.127.116.112 (see my previous post about what I consider “bugs” in synaptics finger distance calculations). That includes two/three finger right/middle clicks and two finger scrolling. Also, click with thumb and drag with finger no longer required a patched kernel module.
Wifi: Requires b43-firmware from the AUR.
Suspend to RAM: I set xfce4-power-manager to suspend on lid close it worked fine.
Webcam: Worked out of the box.
Sound: Use alsamixer to unmute the speakers.
Keyboard: Screen brightness keys worked fine. Needed to add shortcuts to XFCE for volume control and disc eject.
Fan: Appears fine out of the box, but I need to test it under more variety of load.
Anything else (bluetooth, thunderbolt) has not been tested because “meh”.
Overall, this install took me far less time to do compared to installing on the 5.5 model. There were no patched modules for the touchpad or screen brightness control and no compiling a proprietary module for the wireless. In fact, after the initial dramas with the installation media, everything basically just worked. I guess some of the reason for that is that the 8.1 model I am using was released some time early in 2011, so many of the issues people may have faced early on appear to have already been fixed.