What’s that? It is now May and it has been for a few days… Better do this post then!
News from the world of distributions:
- This relatively unknown distro got a release…. (Raring Ringtail)
- Although there might be a lack of co-operation between them and Debian
- Fedora 19 was slightly delayed.
- openSUSE is doing lots of ARM stuff.
- Debian Wheezy should be released soon…
- Sabayon is rolling out systemd.
- What is the best distro? If you can access Linux Format, you will see… (Arch was runner up in the power-distro section.
- And here is how to choose a distro that suites you… I got Arch even without demanding pacman, but Qubes OS and Slakel were close runners up. Never heard of them!
- DragonFly BSD 3.4 was released using GCC-4.7.
- An interesting addition of the /extra hierarchy by Chakra.
Software releases and news of interest:
- A remote desktop backend was merged into Wayland
- Speaking of Wayland, it got updated.
- Google forks Webkit in a Blink (was my pun better than the articles?)
- R-3.0.0 was released. Grab it from the Arch [testing] repo.
- Chakra released Alpha 2 of the Akabei package manager
- A project to set-up a lightweight KDE desktop.
- GDB 7.6 added AArch64 support.
- The Open Build Service 2.4 was released with supports PKGBUILDs… although I’m sure I posted it did before in one of these.
- A talk about Glibc development.
- Another attempt as SELinux on Arch
- Clang is C++11 complete when 3.3 gets released.
And some fun stuff to finish:
Hah, I hadn’t seen that distro chooser. I also got Arch without choosing a package manager, with Slackel and Debian in 2nd and 3rd. I’m a believer!
Intersting that I got arch too. But fedora is not even there in my list. Surprising!
Eew, it thinks I should be running Gentoo. I don’t like this distro chooser.
Article outdated, Debian Wheexy was released and Debia Jeesie begin with they development
What, the article @ Phoronix wasn’t interesting enough to make the list?
I’m sure many of your readers would appreciate a convenient way to decide whether Arch Linux is any good!
Yeah, Arch is obviously crap, even Ubuntu using Compiz + Unity performs better!
Here’s the benchmarks to prove it: